Esophagitis in Little Rock, AR
Ready to Consult a GI Physician?Find a Provider
What is esophagitis?
Esophagitis is the term given to general inflammation of your esophagus, the tube that delivers food from one's mouth to your stomach. It can have many pre-existing issues like an accumulation of the eosinophil white blood cells (eosinophilic esophagitis), acid buildup in your esophagus, infection, several medications, or allergies.
To find reputable help for this condition, contact GastroArkansas to request a consultation with a gastrointestinal provider. Our providers offer help for esophagitis in Little Rock, AR and can make sure you receive the care you require so that you can get some relief.
What are the causes of esophagitis?
Several factors and conditions might cause esophagitis. These involve the following:
- Acid regurgitation
- Oral medicaments (such as anti-inflammatories and aspirin)
- Allergies (commonly to food)
- Eosinophilic esophagitis (EoE)
- Persistent vomiting
For more information regarding the factors that may cause esophagitis and how the gastroenterologists at GastroArkansas can provide you with the treatment you need, call a local provider and request a consultation.
What are the common signs and symptoms of esophagitis?
Some of the most common signs and symptoms of esophagitis in adults involve:
- Pain in the chest
- Pain with and difficulty swallowing
- Acid reflux
- Food impaction – food getting trapped in the esophagus
Young children can also be affected by esophagitis. The common indications of this condition in children might involve:
- Difficulty feeding/eating
- Failure to thrive (FTT), failing to grow at a normal speed, malnutrition, etc.
It is important to request a consultation with one of our providers at GastroArkansas if symptoms linger beyond a few days, over-the-counter heartburn medications fail to provide relief, you have pain when eating, or if your symptoms are accompanied by flu-like symptoms such as fever, aching, and a headache.
What are the treatment options for esophagitis?
The treatment for esophagitis focuses on alleviating the symptoms of esophagitis in the patient. Treatment strategy varies based on the reason behind the condition. Several of these treatment options may include:
- H-2 receptor blockers (prescription-strength acid reflux medications)
- Proton pump inhibitors
- Changing medications (if caused by oral medications)
- Diet control
- Surgery (to fortify the esophageal sphincter and reduce acid regurgitation)
- Dilation (to expand the diameter of the esophagus)
- Antacids (medications that reduce acid production
One primary goal of preventing and treating esophagitis is to decrease acid regurgitation. This can be addressed by avoiding the consumption of alcohol, mint-flavored beverages and foods, and any other foods that incite acid reflux. Incorporating the following lifestyle changes could also help:
- Avoid lying down after eating
- A healthy weight loss plan
- Good pill-taking habits (including eating before taking your medication, drinking plenty of water with pills, and avoiding lying down after taking medication)
- Quit smoking
Contact us todayFind A Provider Find A Location
Personalized care for your GI health
If you need care for esophagitis in Little Rock, AR our team is here to help. We are a physician-led team of GI physicians who will listen to your GI issues so we can offer a treatment approach that addresses your symptoms. Request a consultation at GastroArkansas today to hear more.
Everyone was very nice. They were prompt, very nice, listened to you and were concerned about things and were quick to find out what’s going on. I would recommend you to anyone. Thanks for all you do.
Nice people working in the office. Very nice caretakers and doctor explained everything.
The office staff was very efficient and Dr. Wardlaw was knowledgeable and professional. He asked several questions to be sure he understood our concerns and medical issues. I would highly recommend him to anyone.
Outstanding, much info and down to earth approach. Thanks
(Translated by Google) Excellent!! (Original) Excelente!!