Learn How to Maintain a Healthy Gut All Summer Long
The summer months are heading our way which, for the majority of us, translates to sunshine fun, and treasured vacation time. Before breaking out your beach towels or hopping on a plane to go on your much anticipated grand exploration, don't lose sight of how important it is to sustain positive habits that rarely fail to add a boost to your gut health. With temperatures rising and exhaustion on the incline, your intestinal health is likely to get burned over the summer. At GastroArkansas, our GI physicians aim to provide you with the care and education you need and deserve in order to enjoy a digestive system in optimal health. Read on as our Little Rock, AR team walks you through the basics of the best ways to maintain your gut health over the summer.
What makes summer months hard for gut health?
The summer months are known to be brutal on gut wellness, causing a healthy gut to struggle and making any pre-existing GI problems worse. A few of the primary factors that can open the door to less than optimal digestive health and concerning GI symptoms, such as nausea, vomiting, diarrhea, and constipation, include but are not limited to:
- Dehydration: Higher temperatures mean your body consumes fluids to remain cool at a higher rate, and you might be failing to remain up to speed with replenishing lost fluids.
- Lack of consistent eating habits: In the event that you are traveling or indulging in summer treats, it can prove difficult to plan ahead for a healthy meal.
- Exhaustion: Your summer activities may leave you with a shortage of energy, which ultimately impacts your digestive health.
If you suffer from an existing gastrointestinal problem, the choice to watch your summertime carefully can be the difference between summer months of healthy enjoyment and a vacation passed in pain. To get more about how to stay in control your individual gastrointestinal condition, get in touch with one of our expert gastrointestinal physicians in Little Rock, AR.
How do I maintain gut health during the summer?
With some thoughtful planning, one can be certain of a healthy digestive system over the summer. Enjoy your vacations or relaxing beach days, knowing that you’re taking steps to make certain your digestive system has a fabulous time. Some of the primary practices you can use to ensure your summertime health are:
- Drink water: Stay hydrated, especially if you’re out in the sun and sweating a lot. Dehydration may be the cause of constipation, along with other troublesome digestive woes.
- Consume foods rich in fiber: Eat some dark green vegetables and get a few scrumptious summer fruit in your diet to maintain your fiber consumption, which boosts digestion.
- Probiotics are your friend: Your digestive system holds a precise balance of good bacteria. One way you can power charge your digestive wellness is by supporting those beneficial bacteria with probiotic foods and supplements.
- Plan healthy meals: All of those summer treats like barbeque, soda, and ice cream can be great in moderation, but remember to plan for nutritious evening meals to avoid forcing your gut into overdrive.
- Get a reasonable amount of exercise: Be on the lookout for extreme heat or humidity watches, but a leisurely jog around your neighborhood before the sun is high is a great way to ensure your gut stays active.
When should you see a specialist about gut health?
If you experience any of the following symptoms persistently during your summer bash, you should seek a GastroArkansas physician to help identify the cause at your earliest opportunity:
- Pain in your abdominal area
- Persistent diarrhea
- Chronic heartburn
If you have symptoms such as blood in your stool, seek a GI physician in Little Rock, AR immediately.
Sustain a healthy summertime digestive system
The summer months often force your digestive system to work excessively to make sure your body stays healthy and functioning properly. Treat your gut well throughout the summer break, and be sure to practice healthy habits that will make sure your sunny days stay enjoyable all summer long. Should you require advice or professional care to effectively manage a GI malady over the summer, don’t delay calling our office to find a gastrointestinal doctor in Little Rock, AR. Our doctor-led network of gastrointestinal doctors is devoted to providing patient-centric treatment to individuals exactly like you. Reach out to GastroArkansas at your earliest convenience to hear more.